A few weeks ago my husband and I were over at friends for dessert and they served this amazing Jamie Oliver chocolate tart. It’s decadent, rich, features an orange and chocolate base, with the filling made from 70% dark chocolate. Serve cool by itself, or add a dollop of cream on the side if you want to add to the indulgence.
Trust me, you need to make this!
Ingredients for the pastry:
150g unsalted butter
100g caster sugar
A pinch of salt
250g plain flour, sifted
Zest of 1 small orange
1 large egg
30g cocoa powder
Ingredients for the filling:
200ml whole milk
569ml double cream
30g caster sugar
350g 70% dark chocolate, broken up
2 large eggs
- Grease a loose-bottom 28cm tart tin, 2.5cm deep, with a little butter.
- To make the pastry, cream together the butter, sugar and salt, then fold in the flour, orange zest, egg and cocoa powder.
- When the mixture looks like coarse breadcrumbs, gently work it together until you have a ball of dough, then flour it lightly. Don’t overwork the pastry or it will become elastic and chewy, not crumbly and short.
- Wrap the dough in clingfilm and out in the fridge for at least one hour.
- Remove it from the fridge, roll it out, line your tart tin with it and put in the freezer for half an hour.
- Preheat oven to 180C and bake the pastry case ‘blind’ for around 12 to 15 minutes or until its farm and almost biscuit like.
- Remove from the oven and turn the heat down to 170C.
- Meanwhile, to make the chocolate filling, put the milk, cream and sugar into a saucepan and slowly bring to the boil, stirring gently.
- Take off the heat and add the broken chocolate, whisking until smooth, then add the eggs and whisk again. Pour the filling into a jug.
- Put the baked tart case back in the oven, carefully pull out the oven shelf and pour the filling into the tart case. Push the oven tray bach un and bake for 15 minutes.
- The tart is cooked when the filling still has a slight wobble to it – remember it will continue to firm up a little as it cools down.
Recipe from “Cook with Jamie” by Jamie Oliver.